BROWN COUNTY, OHIO

OHGenWeb Project

Biographies

W

WALL, Walter

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

In 1798, Walter Wall settled on the Heath Survey of 1,000 acres in the south central part of Pleasant township. He was from Western Pennsylvania, where he had been engaged in farming, but, for a few years prior to his emigration here, he had been occupied largely in trading and boating between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. He descended the Ohio in a flat-boat, bringing with him his family, and landed at the mouth of Straight Creek. Mr. Wall and his wife, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Applegate, reared a large family of children here, all of whom, except the eldest four, were born in this township. Hester was married to George Vanemon, and removed to near Dayton, Ohio; Abigail remained at home; Sarah died in girlhood; James remained a resident of the farm until his death; Aseneth, the wife of James Young, went to Illinois; Daniel became a citizen of Clermont County; Mary was the wife of Henry Pierce, of this township; John resided in the northwest part of the county; Elizabeth, wife of John Pierce, resided in Clermont County; William still occupies the old place; and Ann was the wife of Griffith Leming, of Clark Township. Mr. Wall died about 1857, at the age of eighty-three years; his wife survived him several years. In the rude, pioneer times, he was Justice of the Peace for many years.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 374.

WALSH, Edward M. of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Edward M. Walsh, farmer, P.O. St. Martin's, son of James and Ann Walsh, was born in Cincinnati in 1834. When about eight years of age, his parents moved to Piqua, where his mother died, and he afterward went to New Orleans. In 1845, he came to this township with the Ryan family. He boated on the Mississippi and other rivers till 1858, when he returned to this township and farmed till August 28, 1862, when he enlisted in the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was in a number of battles among others, siege of Knoxville, Atlanta and Duck River. At close of the war he came to Cincinnati, where he worked two years, and then came to St. Martin's and opened a general country store, which he kept five years. He then bought sixty-eight acres of his present homestead; he has since added to it, now having 120 acres, 100 of which are under cultivation; he still owns the store building and two lots in St. Martin's. He was married in Cincinnati in 1868, to Mary C., daughter of James and Hannah Campbell. They have three children—Margaret, James and Richard. The family are members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 147.

WELLS, Isaiah

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

In 1826, Isaiah Wells, born in Wales in 1777, came to Pike Township and built a cabin near New Harmony. The house stood on the land now owned by John Simpkins. He continued a laborer on his farm until 1842, when he died and was buried in the New Harmony Cemetery. His sons, James and Daniel, came with their father, and the latter is still living on part of the old homestead; he is now in his sixty-seventh year. During the same year came Daniel Newberry, purchased a farm on the New Harmony & Williamsburg Road. He labored on his farm during the summer, and in the winter season was employed in going from house to house making shoes for the different familes in the neighborhood. He died from the effects of a stroke of paralysis at the age of eighty-five in 1851. Smallwood, son of Danied Newberry, is still living on the old home place.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 560.

WEST, J.S. of Byrd Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Rev. J.S. West, pastor of the Church of Christ, Liberty Chapel charge is the third son of John and Lovina West. He was born in Byrd Township December 7, 1825. He received his education in Franklin College, Harrison County, Ohio, from which he graduated in September, 1854. When of age, he engaged in teaching, which he followed at intervals for thirty years. In April 1855, he was assigned the pastorate of Liberty Chapel charge, and labored with its people till 1857, when he was honored with the trust of Representative. He served two years with credit to himself and to the utmost satisfaction of his constituents. In 1859, he resumed charge of Liberty Chapel, and has since been its pastor. His labors as minister have been efficient, and the church under his care has prospered. April 26, 1855, he was united in holy matrimony with Miss Susan Dixon, daughter of William and Mary (Carr) Dixon. Mrs. West was born in Union Township, April 28, 1833. This union was blessed with the following children, viz.: Louise, John W., Mary L, William N., Thomas A., James H., Joseph S., Oscar A., Martha E., Sadie W. and Susie.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 304.

WEST, John of Byrd Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John West, farmer, an old and highly esteemed pioneer of Brown County, was born January 1, 1797. He is a son of John and Eleanor West. His father was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, and emigrated to Brown County, with his family, in 1798, and lived four years under the Territorial government of Ohio. He died in August, 1808, aged fifty years. Our subject was reared to manhood on the farm. In 1816, he located on a farm one-half mile north of his present farm, and in 1832 removed to his present location. He was married, January 15, 1817, to Louisa Steward, daughter of Joseph and Lovina Steward, by whom he had the following children—Susan, Eleanor, James, William W., Joseph S., Abigail and Caroline. Mr. West is a prominent member of the Christian Church. Politically, he is a Democrat. He served his township as Trustee and Treasurer for many years. He owns a valuable farm of 202 acres, and has always pursued that avocation. Mr. West was born at Kenton Station, Ky., and when one year of age his parents removed to Brown County, where he has spent the remainder of his life. He has passed the meridian of life, and is now going down into the shades of the valley. Over fourscore years of his existence have been employed in the growth and improvement of Brown County. His hand of assistance has been felt in the church and its missions, and in all educational, benevolent and charitable enterprises, and his life can be said to have been one of usefulness and success. He reared a large family, all of whom are filling positions of usefulness and respectability.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 304.

WILSON, Reuben, Sr.

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Reuben Wilson, Sr., came to Pike township in 1845 and purchased a farm. The house which he built is now the home of Elizabeth Buchanan. He was a native of Vermont and was born in 1795. He lived in the townhip until 1848, in which year he died of the cholera.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 562.

WINTER, Elijah

submitted by Lorraine Hatfield

Elijah Winter was born in Virginia in 1798, came here in 1817, and first lived in the vicinity of Lucust Ridge, but during the latter part of his life, lived on the land now owned by Henry SEIRS, near the New Harmony Cemetery; he died in 1844. Jared, James and William, sons of Elijah, have long been residents of the township. James died on his farm in 1876. The estate after his deasth was purchased by W. H. HOLMES, of Maysville, KY., and is now the home of his family. Jared and William are still living here, the latter a farmer by occupation, and the former a blacksmith, residing in New Harmony. During the year 1869, he was subjected to the misfortune of losing his dwelling and its contents by fire.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 556.

WISE, Ross of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Ross Wise, farmer, P.O. Fayetteville, was born near the city of Cincinnati, Hamilton Co., November 13, 1820. His farmer, Solomon Wise, was born in Virginia in 1795, and when quite young, probably in 1808 or 1810, came West with his parents, who settled in Hamilton County, after a few years residence in Cincinnati. They passed the greater part of the rest of their lives in that county, where they both died. While in that neighborhood, Solomon married Elizabeth Bray, of Hamilton County, by whom he had eight children, four boys and four girls, our subject being the third child. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and died on the home farm in 1841; his mother died in 1846. The subject of this sketch remained on the home farm until of age, when he engaged in butchering, which he followed nine years, and then engaged in stock trading. In 1857, he purchased his present farm in this county, and has since made it his home. In 1842, he married Mary Grogan, daughter of Edward Grogan, of Mt. Airy, Hamilton County, and by her had ten children, of whom three, William, Sylvester and Cecilia Kate, are the only survivors. Mrs. Wise died in 1862, and in 1864, Mr. Wise married Mary McGlinchey, daughter of William McGlinchey, of Highland County, and by her he had eight children, seven living—John, Thomas, Joseph, Mary, Elizabeth, Robert and Bernard. Mr. Wise is a Democrat and a member of the Catholic Church. He has served his township as Trustee, and in the fall of 1881, was elected one of the Board of County Commissioners, in which position he is now serving. He is a social gentleman, a practical farmer and a good citizen; and is widely known and universally respected.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 147.

WOOD, John of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John Wood, sample room and grocery, St. Martin's, son of Charles and Ann (Morgan) Wood, was born in St. Martin's in 1857. When seventeen years of age, he went to Cincinnati, where he remained three years. In the spring of 1878, he opened a sample room and grocery, where he also keeps cigars, tobacco, etc. He was married January 16, 1882, to Louisa Noel, a native of Kentucky. Mr. Wood owns his place of business, also residence and lot. He is a member of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 148.

WOOLLARD, Isaac of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

Isaac Woollard, farmer, P.O. Westboro, Clinton Co., Ohio, son of William and Elizabeth Woollard, was born in Clinton County in 1827, where he was reared on a farm, and was married in 1851 to Catherine, daughter of Edward and Eliza Canter, born in Clinton County. They have two sons—Edward and William. Mr. Woollard came to this township in 1868, and bought a farm of 100 1/4 acres of land in the northeastern part. He also has forty acres in Jefferson Township, and eighty-one acres, part of which is in Clinton County. Himself and wife are members of the M.E. Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 147-148.

WYNNE, John of Perry Township

submitted by Yolanda Campbell Lifter

John Wynne (deceased) was born in County Louth, Ireland, in 1807. He was married in 1841, to Ellen, daughter of Daniel and Susan (McGuire) Daley, born in Ireland in 1824. They came to this country in 1841, and settled in Cincinnati, where Mr. Wynne and his brother Patrick took a contract digging on the White Water Canal. In 1845, they came to this township, where Patrick bought a farm of 200 acres of land near Fayetteville, eight of which are now under cultivation. Mr. Wynne died in 1863, leaving a family of six children—Anne, James, Susan, Catherine, Elizabeth and John. James the eldest son is now at home and takes charge of the farm. The family are members of the Catholic Church.

The History of Brown County, Ohio Containing A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, Etc.; General and Local Statistics; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men; History of the Northwest Territory; History of Ohio; Map of Brown County; Constitution of the United States, Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc. (Chicago: W.H. Beers & Co., 1883), 148.

Brown County, Ohio

Yolanda Campbell Lifter, Brown County Coordinator

Copyright 2005-2010 Yolanda Campbell Lifter
This site may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my consent.